Amazon FireStick is an immensely popular media streaming device worldwide. This device plugs into the HDMI port and converts any regular TV into a smart TV. You can access a wide range of content using FireStick through apps like Netflix, Hulu and more. But, to use these apps you must pay a subscription fee. That’s not something everyone can afford, especially if the content you want to watch is available through different services. This is why we need to jailbreak Firestick so that we may gain access to the huge world of free content.
In this article I will show you how to jailbreak Fire TV or FireStick devices in some quick and easy steps. Have no worries as jailbreaking is completely legal. After all, you have bought the device and you own it. But, also keep in mind that streaming copyrighted content for free is prohibited and we do not encourage such practice. We recommend using Kodi only to watch the free content available in the public domain.
How to Jailbreak Firestick:
The default security settings of FireStick do not allow you to carry out hacks or jailbreaks. Therefore, there is one security setting you will need to change before you can install the jailbreak on your FireStick device.
If you are thinking that changing the security setting may make your device vulnerable then you are right. But, you can restore the device back to its default security once the jailbreak has been installed. And, the process we will use to jail break the device itself is very safe. It will cause no harm to your FireStick or Fire TV. And, you can install apps like Bobby HD
PREPARE YOUR FIRESTICK FOR JAILBREAK
Here is what you need to do:
- Select the Settings menu on the top menu bar when you are on the FireStick homescreen.
- Now, press the down button once and then keep pressing the right direction button until ‘Device’ option is selected.
- Press the ‘Select’ button on your remote to open the Device settings
- Now, select and click ‘Developer Options’
- Here, highlight ‘Apps from unknown sources’ if it is ‘Off’ and press the select button on your remote to turn it ON.
- When the warning prompt appears, click ‘Turn on’ to continue.
Your FireStick device is now ready to install the third-party applications. Once this jailbreak process is over, you can return to ‘Apps from unknown sources’ and disable it again to keep your device secured.
INSTALL DOWNLOADER APP ON YOUR FIRESTICK DEVICE
In order to complete the jailbreak process, you will need a tool like Downloader that can side-load the APK files directly onto your FireStick device. Downloader is an extremely popular tool, used by millions to side-load or manually install apps not found in Amazon App Store. It also has its own, built-in browser.
To jailbreak FireStick, we will first install the Downloader app. This app is available in many regions around the world. However, there are some places where it is not available. If you live in the USA, you will find it in the Amazon Store. However, if it is not available you may use the ES File Explorer, which is available almost everywhere. We will learn to install and use ES File Explorer later. First, let’s get started with Downloader.
- Return to the FireStick home screen and use your remote to select the ‘Search’ option on the top left.
- Type in ‘Downloader’ (without quotes). Select and click ‘Downloader’ in the search results.
- Click the ‘Downloader’ app icon on the next screen.
- Now, click the ‘Download’ button and wait for the app to install.
Once the app is installed, you will see the ‘Open’ option. Click ‘Open’ to launch the app right away or you can go back to the home screen, open ‘Your Apps & Games’ and run the Downloader app from there.
Alternative – ES File Explorer to Jailbreak Firestick
As I already said, you may not find Downloader in Amazon Store in your region. That’s alright! You can use another very popular tool called ES File Explorer.
Download and install ES File Explorer the same way you did Downloader app: Select search function from the FireStick homescreen > Type in ‘ES File Explorer’ > Click ES File Explorer in the search results > Click the ES File Explorer icon > Click the ‘Download’ button
Again, once ES File Explorer is installed, you can access it from the Your Apps & Games section.
INSTALL KODI ON FIRESTICK USING DOWNLOADER (OR ALTERNATIVE ES FILE EXPLORER)
This is the final part. Installing Kodi is jailbreaking your device as it gives you access to the whole world of free content for streaming. If you want to use FireStick to its full potential then having Kodi is a must. Kodi is a hack that makes FireStick all the more amazing. The best thing about Kodi is that it is a safe application and even officially available on various app stores including Google Play Store and Microsoft Store. Of course, it is yet not listed on Amazon Store. Therefore, we will have to side load it.
First of all, let us learn to install Kodi using Downloader. Later, in case you can’t get downloader, I will show you how to jailbreak Amazon FireStick using ES File Explorer.
Steps to Install Kodi on Firestick
- Run Downloader app and select the ‘Home’ option on the top on the left column/sidebar (Home is usually selected by default)
- If the cursor is not in the URL field, use your remote to navigate to this field and then press Select button on the remote. An onscreen keypad will pop up.
- Now, enter the following address that points directly to the Kodi APK File: https://kodi.tv/download and press the GO button on the onscreen keyboard
- Download will start automatically. Wait for the APK file to get downloaded. It might take a minute or two.
- Once the download is complete, you will see a new screen with the ‘Install’ button on the bottom right. Use your remote to highlight this button and then click it to start the installation.
When the installation is complete, you will see another prompt with ‘Done’ and ‘Open’ buttons on the bottom. Click Open if you want to launch Kodi straight away. Click Done to go back to Downloader app interface. I would recommend clicking ‘Done’ as there is one more thing to take care of.
When you press ‘Done’ you will see a dialogue box asking whether you would like to keep the APK file that you just installed. You don’t need to keep it. The app is already installed and the file is no longer required. Free up some space on FireStick and remove the APK file by clicking ‘Delete’ and then clicking ‘Delete’ again when prompted.
Now, you can go back to the FireStick home screen and run Kodi from ‘Your Apps & Games’ section. That will be all. This is how you jailbreak FireStick using Downloader app.
Alternative – Use ES File Explorer to Jailbreak Firestick TV
If you can’t get Downloader or for some reason don’t want to use it, you can always use the file manager tool called ES File Explorer.
Here are the steps to install Kodi and jailbreak Amazon FireStick using ES File Explorer:
- Open ES File Explorer and scroll down to Tools menu on the left
- Expand Tools menu and click ‘Download Manager’
- Now, click ‘+ New’ option on the bottom of the screen
- You will see two fields – Path and Name. Select the Path field and press the Select button. Type in the following Kodi APK URL using the onscreen keyboard: https://kodi.tv/download
- In the Name, enter any name you like. But, make sure it is relevant. For instance, you can give it the name ‘Kodi 17.6’
- Now, click the ‘Download Now’ button
- Once the download is complete, you will see another prompt. Click ‘Open File’ when you see the prompt
- Another prompt will appear. Here, you need to click ‘Install’ to start he installation.
- On the next screen, confirm your action by pressing the ‘Install’ button on the bottom left
- The installation will begin. When it is complete, you will see the ‘App Installed’ notification.
- Like before, you can click ‘Done’ to go back to ES File Explorer or click ‘Open’ to launch Kodi app right away.
Choice is all yours!
Well, this is exactly how you get Kodi and jailbreak FireStick.
Installing Kodi on your FireStick device is akin to jailbreaking it. Kodi is a media tool that lets you access all your favorite content with just a push of the button. There is a massive collection of free content ready to be streamed. In this article, we learnt how to jailbreak FireStick by installing Kodi through the Downloader and ES File Explorer app. Now, the only thing you are left to do is install some of the best Kodi addons and start streaming your favorite content. Remember that Kodi doesn’t host any content of its own. You will need add-ons to get it working.